Mother’s Day is just a couple short months away, and if you are planning to wow your mom with a weekend getaway, now is the time to start booking your trip. Moms come in all varieties, and you know what types of vacation activities your own mother would like.
Here are some suggestions for places to visit that might appeal to your mom. As always, take her desires into consideration when choosing a trip!
- New York City If your mom is a fan of bright lights, big cities and Broadway shows, then you can’t do better than the Big Apple this Mother’s Day. The weather in NYC is generally mild in May, and you’ll be just in time to see some of the flowering and blooming of the trees and plants. If you want to take your mom to a Broadway show, you will have quite a bit to choose from. Aladdin and Cinderella are both playing on the weekend of Mother’s Day, as is Chicago, The Lion King, Les Miserables, Mamma Mia and Rock of Ages. You can also venture off Broadway and see shows such as Stomp, Newsical the Musical and Heathers: The Musical.
- Las Vegas, Nevada Is your mom a high-roller? Even if gambling isn’t her style, there’s plenty to keep her busy in the Entertainment Capital of the World. First, the variety of food is amazing, and you’ll have your pick of many different cuisines. If your mom is into music of any genre, you might want to take her to a concert. On Mother’s Day weekend, you’ll find performances by artists including Jane’s Addiction, Boyz II Men, Rock of Ages, Absinthe and Rita Rudner. And of course, she might want to press her luck at the slot machines or tables all along Las Vegas Strip.
- San Francisco, California This cultural mecca is great for moms on the go who are interested in culture, history and food. There are several walking tours available on Mother’s Day weekend, catering to various interests. If she’s into architecture and days of a bygone era, she might love the Victorian Home Walk. You could also leave the city to check out Napa Valley and taste fine wines.
- Caribbean Cruise: A short cruise is a great getaway and basque in the sun, especially if you are from areas that have been through a cold and harsh winter. Cruises are also very relaxing she can lounge by the pool, read a book, enjoy wonderful shows and cuisine and maybe visit the spa for a massage or facial.
- Take Her (or Go) Home Again Perhaps the best getaway for your mom is to bring her back to where she raised her family! In today’s world, people move easily and often, and chances are good that you and your siblings aren’t all in your hometown. If your mom is retired, there’s also a good chance that she’s living somewhere other than where you grew up. Try to get your brothers and sisters together to either visit Mom in your hometown, or to bring her to where she raised you. You can all enjoy Sunday dinner again, go to your favorite restaurants and do the things that you used to do when you were young and still living at home with mom and dad.
Mother’s Day is a favorite holiday for many moms, and it would be great if you could take your mom away for the weekend. Whether she likes big cities, rural areas, pampering spa vacations or just laying on the beach, you’re sure to be able to come up with a destination that she will enjoy.